We love playing with LED strings. The original versions we have solder tiny 0805 surface-mount LEDs to a stiff, solid-core wire which makes them ideal for shaping into rigid shapes, but terrible for wearables.
When we saw this new version, it looked the same, but is WOW different. Now the LED strings are also available as noodley "Superflex" strings, which feature a super-thin ribbon of wire wrapped around a nylon strand core. These are proving to be very flexible and robust, although a bit trickier to solder.
Please note these particular strings do not come with a battery box. If you are looking for flex string with battery box attached - see these Superflex 3m 90 LED Strand with battery box.
- 4.5M long (14.75')
- 5cm (1.9") spacing between LEDs
- 26 gauge Superflex wire (8 strands of 36awg wire around nylon core)
- Included 12 ohm, 1 watt current-limiting resistor for 4.5VDC operation
- LED viewable at ~0.05 mA/ea, functionally bright at 2mA/ea, very bright at 4mA/ea
- 90 LED string current draw - 118mA (low power) to 238mA (high power)
- CE authenticated
- Colours available:
- Warm White
- Color-changing RGB
Performance Note: Factory datasheets suggest the LEDs are 20mA rated, but 90 LEDs @ 20mA = 1.8A. Although 26 gauge wire is 2.2A capable, we found powering up the strings over 15mA/LED causes stress to the LEDs closest to the power source. We recommend NOT EXCEEDING 10mA/LED (900mA for whole string) for safe operation.
Performance Note 2: We noticed that some strands may have a few dead LEDs - we will replacement strings for you if there are more than 3 dead LEDs per string.