Sound modules are getting better, smaller, and more capable all the time. This latest unit from 4D-Systems is a really tidy unit, playing audio from pinky-nail sized microSD card memory modules. The SOMO-14D supports 4-bit ADPCM audio files (.ad4) with sample rates from 6kHz up to 36kHz. Sweet!
4D-Systems also hosts a free Windows utility to convert any .WAV or .MP3 file to the necessary ADPCM (.AD4) format
The SOMO-14D features two modes of use: Serial and Key-mode.
- Serial mode uses a simple 2-wire interface to its DATA and CLK lines. Audio controls (play, pause, stop, volume) can all be accessed via simple TTL serial commands.
- Key-mode lets you tap directly into the controls of the SOMO-14D without a host microcontroller. Use 3 push buttons, a 3V battery, and speaker, and you've got a very simple audio playback unit!
Here's what the SOMO-14D brings to the table:
- Supports 4-bit ADPCM (.ad4) file formats with sampling rates from 6Khz to 36Khz.
- Two operation modes:
- Serial Mode: Supports a 2-Wire (Data, Clock) interface to any micro-controller.
- Key Mode: Supports a simple stand alone operation without a host micro.
- Differential 2 line PWM output for direct speaker connection (8 Ohm/0.5W).
- Dedicated 16-bit DAC/PWM audio output to use with an external amplifier.
- On-board micro-SD memory card adaptor for storing of audio, voice and music files (up to 512 files).
- Supports 64Mb to 2Gig micro-SD memory cards (FAT format).
- Compact size measuring only 18.3 x 20.8 mm.
- 2.7V to 3.6V DC voltage range (single supply).
- Low Power Idle current of 8.0uA
- RoHS Compliant
This is an ideal tight and tidy way to get audio into your project