Parallax PIR Motion Sensor (Rev B)
Check out this awesome PIR Motion Sensor, complete with infrared goodness!
PIR sensors are a very proven technology - they're in practically every security system you've seen, so they've got to be pretty good! Now Parallax has taken these useful sensors, added their usual brilliant twist to them, and now make them available to you in a tidy, efficient package!
Moving blobs of IR heat energy (that'd be me, you, and the dog) are detected up to 20 feet away by the built-in Fresnel lens. A simple 3-pin (power, ground, signal) output is compatible with practically any microcontroller, and Parallax has provided convenient sample code for the BS/2, Propeller and Arduino!
- Simple 3-pin connection
- Single bit output ("I detect something!")
- Small size (0.96" x 1.0" x 1.27")
- Detect a person up to ~30 ft. away, or up to 15 ft. away in reduced sensitivity mode
- Jumper selects normal operation or reduced sensitivity
- Source current up to 12 mA @ 3 V, 23 mA @ 5 V
- Onboard LEDs light up the lens for fast visual feedback when movement is detected
- Mounting holes for 2-56 sized screws
- 3-pin SIP header ready for breadboard or through-hole projects
- Small size makes it easy to conceal
- Easy interface to any microcontroller
- Motion-activated nightlight
- Alarm systems
- Holiday animated props
- Power requirements: 3 to 6 VDC; 130 µA idle, 23 mA active (no load)
- Communication: Single bit high/low output
- Dimensions: 1.41 x 1.0 x 0.8 in (35.8 x 25.4 x 20.3 cm)
- Operating temp range: 32 to 122 °F (0 to 50 °C)
Example KickStart Circuits & Code