You don't want IR communication. Bluetooth is too goofy-sounding. Wires... well, they suck. You want Wi-Fi, and the fine folks at Roving Networks have come up with the RN-XV to satisfy your needs.
This is a certified 802.15.4 Wi-Fi solution based on their RN-171 module that features:
- 802.11 b/g radio
- 32 bit processor
- TCP/IP stack
- real-time clock
- crypto accelerator
- power management unit
- analog sensor interface
What's particularly cool is that this fits in a standard XBee footprint! Move from XBee to Wifi, Presto-Chango, that easy!
What else does it offer?
- Additional I/O via onboard programmable GPIOs (8) and ADCs (3).
- The 14-bit ADC resolution (wow)
- The module is pre-loaded with Roving firmware to simplify integration and minimize development time of your application.
- Basic hardware configuration only requires four connections (PWR, TX, RX and GND) to create a wireless data connection.
- Direct Internet connectivity provides internet access to every node
- Point to point connectivity to every node without the need for custom profiles
- Based on common 802.15.4 footprint
- Ultra low power: 4uA sleep mode, 38mA active
- Onboard TCP/IP stack includes DHCP, UDP, DNS, ARP, ICMP, HTTP client, FTP client and TCP
- Firmware configurable transmit power: 0dBm to 12dBm
- Hardware interfaces:TTL UART
- Host data rate up to 464Kbps over UART
- Supports Adhoc and infrastructure networking
- 8 general purpose digital I/O
- 3 analog sensor inputs
- Real-time clock for time-stamping, auto-sleep, and auto-wakeup modes
- Accepts 3.3VDC regulated power supply
- Configuration over UART or wireless interface (via Telnet) using simple ASCII commands
- Over the air firmware upgrade (FTP)
- Secure WiFi authentication: WEP, WPA-TKIP , WPA2-AES
- Industrial metering
- HVAC control
- Room temperature sensors
- Pump configuration and control
- PV / Solar controllers
UFL Connector (Antenna not included)