Parallax Propeller Education Kit Labs: Fundamentals Text
This Product Has Been Discontinued, This Page Is For Reference Only.
The Parallax "Propeller Education Kit Lab Fundamentals" is a well written instructional guide for both at-home and institutional learning about this powerful microcontroller.
The Parallax Propeller is an amazing chip developed in-house at Parallax. They've gone to great lengths to create a microcontroller that offers impressive parallel processing performance, and this guide works well in guiding a new user through the ins-and-outs of the chip.
Written in a lab-workbook style, each chapter comes with study modules, experiments, and labs (with answer key!) that make it very straightforward to work through making a Propeller do your biding.
Written for college and university electronics, robotics, microcontroller, and senior design courses, this text is also a valuable resource for hobbyists with previous microcontroller experience who want to explore the Propeller chip.
- Setup and Testing - building your Propeller Platform circuit*
- I/O and Timing Basics - techniques for controlling outputs, monitoring inputs, and timing events.
- Methods and Cogs - how to write and call Spin methods and launch cogs. Also covers parameter passing, return values, and setting aside stack space for methods launched into new cogs.
- Objects - How to build and use them to simplilfy multiprocessing, with focus on variable values, I/O pin states, and measurements with the Parallax Serial Terminal
- Counter Modules and Circuit Applications - With counters, any cog can manage two additional processes, simplifying signal monitoring and generation. Example applications include RC decay, infrared object/distance detection, and metal proximity detection. Signals include D/A with duty signals, square waves up to 50+ MHz, and PWM
Spiral binding, 228 pages. Black & white printing
Note: This book contains building and testing instructions for the 40-pin DIP version of the kit. The instructions for setting up the PropStick USB version are available for free download below.
Propeller Education Kit Resources