The MicroEngineering Labs LCD modules are solid mid-ranged featured liquid-crystal displays. Besides "talking" in I2C, MeLabs serial LCDs also communicate in common a synchronous RS232-style (you know - that 9-pin connector on the back of older PCs which used to be used for modems!). They talk in baud rates from 2400 to 57,600 and have a built-in data buffer for smoother data transfer.
This particular unit, the SLCD204 is 20 characters wide by 4 lines tall - ideal when you have lots of data to monitor!
Want more details? Ok!
- Software-controlled full-off to full-on variable backlight (think making this thing throb!)
- Selectable serial communication rates of 2400, 9600, 19200, and 57600.
- Supports regular, or inverted serial mode, meaning you can connect it directly to a PC serial port or to an output pin on a microcontroller (they talk reverse to each other).
- Compatible with both RS-232 (+/- 12V) and TTL (0-5V) levels.
- Talks I2C up to 400K bps.
- I2C slave address is settable via jumpers or with a software command.
- 80-character buffered communication.
- Set your own bot screen message on power-up!
- Uses standard Hitachi HD44780 commands (very common) or our easy-to-understand special protocol to control the display
- Built-in special functions include scroll up, scroll down, set backlight, select line, display bargraph, cursor appearance, change I2C address, save/recall strings.
- Onboard non-volatile memory allows you to save custom messages and then recall/display them with a short command.
- Fast bargraph displays (up to the full width of the display) can be anchored on the left side or right side. Fast enough to display stereo audio levels!
- 5-volt operation with less than 5mA current consumption (backlight off)
- Display PCB (outside edge) measures 98mm wide and 60mm high.