Pololu Pushbutton Power Switch LV
This Product Has Been Discontinued, This Page Is For Reference Only.
The Pololu Pushbutton Power Switch is an alternative to bulky mechanical switches. Small switch with big current ability!
Switches are funny things. They've been around forever, but are quite expensive, especially when designed to run higher DC currents. Pololu has developed this solution, that is small, tidy, and powerful - the Power Switch LV!
There are two versions, so be aware: this is the 2.5-7.0 V low-voltage version, there's also the Standard 4.5-20V voltage version available.
Originally intended as a DC power switch for small robots, it offers optimizations, but with a few limitations:
Benefits over mechanical switches:
- Compact size
- Allows multiple (parallel) switches for improved user interface
- Better turn-on characteristics than a bouncing mechanical switch
- Limited LC spikes for low-resistance loads
- Allows self-shutoff
- Breadboard and perfboard compatible
Drawbacks compared to mechanical switches:
- Switch is one-directional (inherent body diode in MOSFET)
- Limited operating voltage range
- Switches DC only (does not maintain state through power disruptions or excessive noise)
- No complete isolation in off state
- Dimensions: 0.4" x 0.9" x 0.125" (without header pins and pushbutton installed)
- Operating voltage: 4.5-20 V (SV version), 2.5-7.0 V (LV version)
- Maximum current: 10 A (see MOSFET datasheets)
- Weight without included pushbutton: 0.030 oz (0.85 g)
- Weight with included pushbutton: 0.035 oz (1.0 g)
- Draws very little current in off state (typically under 0.01 μA)
Using the Pololu Pushbutton Power Switch